|Commit found by message id
Fri, 1 Nov 2013
[ 23:32:10 gerald ] |
Microsoft Windows compatibility environment
Update to Wine 1.6 which represents 16 months of development effort and
some 10,000 individual changes (see below). 
STAGEify, follow the new LIB_DEPENDS standard, replace USE_GMAKE by USES.
== User interface
- Window transparency is supported, including both color keying and
alpha blending transparency.
- All window rendering is done on the client-side using the DIB engine
(except for OpenGL rendering). This means that rendering to windows
or bitmaps gives identical results.
- Common dialogs correctly scale with the screen DPI resolution.
- In virtual desktop mode, shortcuts placed in the Desktop folder are
displayed on the desktop, and can be used to launch applications.
- The HTML Help control has better support for non-ASCII characters,
and for multiple help windows.
- Custom painting and images are better supported in listview
- Input validation is improved in the date and calendar controls.
== X11 driver
- X11 server-side font rendering is no longer supported. All fonts are
rendered client-side using FreeType.
- The big lock around all X11 calls has been removed, we rely on the X
libraries internal locking for thread safety.
- XRandR versions 1.2 and 1.3 are supported.
- There are significant performance improvements in the DIB engine,
particularly for text rendering, bitmap stretching, alpha blending,
- Bounds tracking is supported for all graphics primitives, to enable
copying only the modified portions of a bitmap.
- OpenGL rendering is supported in device-independent bitmaps using libOSMesa.
- Brush dithering is implemented in the DIB engine.
- Path gradients are implemented in GdiPlus.
- More image codecs features are implemented, including JPEG encoding,
palette formats, and meta-data support for various image types.
== Text and fonts
- Sub-pixel font anti-aliasing is supported in the DIB engine, using
the system anti-aliasing configuration from FontConfig.
- Dynamic loading of scalable font resources is supported.
- Text layout in Uniscribe supports character-specific position
adjustments. Right-to-left text handling is also improved.
- There is an initial implementation of the DirectWrite text layout
- Built-in fonts are more complete, with the addition of FixedSys and
Wingdings fonts, more high-resolution pixel fonts, and a wider range
of glyphs in the existing fonts, notably Arabic glyphs in Tahoma.
- Bi-directional text support is improved in the RichEdit control.
== Input devices
- The raw input API is supported for keyboard and mouse input.
- There is a joystick applet in the control panel, to allow
configuring joysticks and testing their behavior.
- DOSBox is tried first when running a DOS application. The Wine DOS
support is only used as a fallback when DOSBox cannot be found, and
will be removed in a future release.
- A monotonic time counter is used on platforms that support it, to
make timers more robust against system time changes.
- File times are reported with nanosecond resolution.
- Wine can be configured to report the Windows version as 'Windows 8'.
== OLE / COM
- The typelib writer is reimplemented for better compatibility.
- OLE DB supports more data types and conversions.
- OLE automation manages a cache of string allocations for better
performance and compatibility.
== Internet and networking
- HTTPS connections use GnuTLS. OpenSSL is no longer used.
- The TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 protocols are enabled by default, with
automatic fallback to TLS 1.0. The SSL2 protocol is disabled by
- Security certificate validation errors are handled better.
- NTLM and Negotiate authentication protocols are supported.
- ActiveX controls can be downloaded and installed automatically.
- Internet proxy bypass is supported, and can be enabled either
through the registry or with the no_proxy environment variable.
- Broadcast packets can be received on interface-bound sockets, which
is needed for some networked multi-player games.
- The Server Name Indication TLS extension is supported.
- Persistent cookies are supported, and URL cache files are managed
better. The Internet control panel allows clearing saved cookies and
- Punycode encoding for Internationalized Domain Names is supported.
is preferred over the Gecko one in most cases.
- Many more built-in functions of VBScript are implemented. Regular
expressions are also supported.
- The Direct3D 9Ex implementation is more complete. In particular:
- IDirect3DDevice9Ex::PresentEx is implemented.
- IDirect3DDevice9Ex::ResetEx is implemented.
- Various Direct3D 9Ex display mode handling functions are implemented.
- Direct3D 9Ex style video memory accounting is implemented.
- Like the X11 driver, WineD3D no longer uses the big X11 lock when
making GL calls.
- The WineD3D graphics card database is updated to recognize more
- The fallback card detection code for unrecognized graphics cards is
improved. This results in a more reasonable card being reported when
the graphics card is not already in the WineD3D database.
- WineD3D has GLSL based implementations of Direct3D fixed-function
vertex and fragment processing. In some cases this allows
functionality that's not present in fixed-function OpenGL to be
implemented, in other cases it allows functionality to be
implemented in a more efficient way.
- On drivers that support it, GL_ARB_debug_output is used to get more
detailed debugging output from the OpenGL driver.
- On drivers that support it, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB is used for
rendering to frame buffers in the sRGB color space.
- On drivers that support it, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays is used for more
efficient instanced drawing.
- On drivers that support it, and return useful information,
GL_ARB_internalformat_query2 is used for more accurate reporting of
surface / texture format capabilities.
- There is an initial implementation of a HLSL compiler.
- Improvements to various parts of the D3DX9 implementation, including:
- The surface and texture handling functions. This includes code for
loading, saving, filling, and rendering to surfaces and textures.
- The effects framework.
- The constant table implementation.
- A number of spherical harmonics functions have been implemented.
- Support for .x files.
- Improvements to the Direct3D 10 implementation, including:
- Support for more shader model 4 opcodes and register types.
- Support for shader model 4 indirect addressing.
- Initial geometry shader support.
- Improved binary effect parsing.
- Support for Direct3D 10 style instanced draws, using
- Vertex buffers are created with WINED3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC when locked with
DDLOCK_DISCARDCONTENTS, resulting in improved performance in some cases.
- The 2D-only fallback in WineD3D for using DirectDraw without a
working OpenGL implementation is more robust. Note that this still
isn't a recommended configuration.
== Audio and video
- DirectSound has a better resampler.
- Audio device enumeration is improved, and multi-channel devices are
- VMR-9 video rendering is implemented.
== Printer support
- The PPD files of already installed printers are automatically
refreshed when needed.
- Printing resolution can be configured from the print dialog.
- Simulated italic fonts can be printed.
- Japanese vertical text is correctly supported.
- Translated font names are used when there is a match for the current
== Built-in applications
- The new 'netstat' application displays information about active
- The 'cabarc' application supports multi-cabinet archives.
- The 'attrib' application supports recursing in sub-directories.
- The 'ipconfig' application can display IPv6 addresses.
- The 'start' application allows setting process priority and affinity.
- The 'cmd' application support arithmetic variable expansion,
comparison operators, and various extra features in 'for' loops.
- The Winedump tool can display the contents of typelib files.
- The Fnt2bdf tool has been removed since X11 server-side fonts are no
- XML namespaces are better supported. XML parsing is also implemented
in the XMLLite library.
- Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is implemented, with a wide
range of WBEM system classes.
- A number of forwarding libraries are added to support the API Sets
feature added in Windows 8.
- More of the latest functions of the C runtime are implemented,
particularly the locale functions. Exception handling and RTTI are
supported on 64-bit.
- The standard C++ class libraries are more complete, particularly the
math functions and the stream classes.
PR: 182099 
Number of ports [& non-ports] in this commit: 1
Showing files for just one port: emulators/wine
show all files
hide all files
13 vulnerabilities affecting 19 ports have been reported in the past 14 days
* - modified, not new