- birch IRC client written in bash
- g20200327 irc =0 g20200327Version of this port present on the latest quarterly branch.
- Maintainer: lcook@FreeBSD.org
- Port Added: 2020-03-31 00:36:16
- Last Update: 2021-04-07 08:09:01
- Commit Hash: cf118cc
- License: MIT
- Minimal IRC client written in bash, featuring the full power of readline for
input and keybindings, tab completion of nicks and unique (or semi-unique)
- SVNWeb : git : Homepage
- pkg-plist: as obtained via:
- Dependency lines:
- To install the port: cd /usr/ports/irc/birch/ && make install clean
- To add the package, run one of these commands:
- pkg install irc/birch
- pkg install birch
- PKGNAME: birch
- Flavors: there is no flavor information for this port.
- TIMESTAMP = 1585518968
SHA256 (dylanaraps-birch-g20200327-f04f673a57d3f416174fb84755d528aefe5adc6d_GH0.tar.gz) = 3c07101640cf3b1d13304cf8a4ff0df490094645f4b7d4c2cd298468508ecc6e
SIZE (dylanaraps-birch-g20200327-f04f673a57d3f416174fb84755d528aefe5adc6d_GH0.tar.gz) = 8206
- Packages (timestamps in pop-ups are UTC):
- NOTE: FreshPorts displays only information on required and default dependencies. Optional dependencies are not covered.
- Runtime dependencies:
- bash : shells/bash
- There are no ports dependent upon this port
- Configuration Options:
- ===> The following configuration options are available for birch-g20200327:
DOCS=on: Build and/or install documentation
===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings
- Options name:
- If installing:
- birch was successfully installed.
Caveats (or limitations):
* Nick column is fixed and truncated to 10 columns wide.
This is something fixable down the line. It merely serves to
simplify the alignment of messages into two columns (nick and
* Lines are word-wrapped to a fixed 60 columns.
This is also fixable down the line though a lot more painful
than the nick column issue. POSIX fold is used to achieve the
word wrapping but doesn't take into account non-printable
characters and unicode.
What this means is that wrapping will always be a little _off_
as escape sequences, IRC formatting and unicode will throw
out all attempts at calculating the "visible" line length.
It's an interesting problem to solve. I've made a myriad of
attempts at writing a suitable function in bash though they're
all too slow (as expected!).
* No automatic server reconnect.
This should be fairly easy to fix though I need to figure out
the best way of doing so.
* No SSL (sadly).
The network connection is through bash's builtin /dev/tcp
feature which doesn't allow for SSL.
Ctrl+n - Next buffer.
Ctrl+p - Previous buffer.
Tab - Completion of nicks and channels.
Further, all readline keybindings are available for use. See the
readline or bash manpages for a list of these.
Keybindings to birch may also be set via a .inputrc file. Which
can be configured by setting `$BIRCH_INPUTRC`.
/join <channel> - Join a channel.
/part <channel> - Leave a channel.
/quit - Quit out of birch.
/msg <nick> <message> - Message a user.
/me <message> - Send an action.
/next - Next buffer.
/prev - Previous buffer.
/<num> - Buffer by number (0 indexed).
/nick <nick> - Change nickname.
/names - Display all nicks in channel.
/topic - Display channel topic.
/raw <args> - Send a raw IRC message.
- Master Sites:
Number of commits found: 4
|Commit History - (may be incomplete: see SVNWeb link above for full details)
|07 Apr 2021 08:09:01
One more small cleanup, forgotten yesterday.
Reported by: lwhsu
|06 Apr 2021 14:31:07
Remove # $FreeBSD$ from Makefiles.
|22 Jan 2021 10:08:52
Update MAINTAINER fields for myself (lcook)
Approved by: tcberner (mentor)
Differential Revision: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D28279
|31 Mar 2020 00:27:07
New port: irc/birch: IRC client written in bash
Submitted by: Lewis Cook <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Number of commits found: 4